As a chapter of Habitat for Humanity of Greater Charlottesville (Habitat), Women Build (WB) is dedicated to combating the local affordable housing crisis through sponsoring and building simple, decent, healthy and affordable homes in partnership with low-income families. Engaging women in the building process provides a unique opportunity for women to learn construction skills and build leadership and teamwork.
In partnership with families and volunteers in our community, Women Build has sponsored or co-sponsored ten homes since 2001, which has helped ten families realize their dream of homeownership.
WB is currently working toward our 11th sponsorship of families who will purchase homes at Burnet Commons III, which is expected to break ground early fall. WB welcomes you to join in these efforts.
If you or your club or organization would like to learn more about Women Build, please contact Habitat staff liaison, Katie Geisshuesler
Upcoming Women Build Activities (click here for project descriptions)
- Thursday, July 31st - Dinner and monthly meeting - CANCELED
- Friday, August 1 - Fridays After Five Fundraiser - we're looking for a few more people to (wo)man the beer cart- tips and hourly wages earned go toward our sponsorship at Burnet Commons III.
- Saturday, August 9 - Build Day on the Habitat job site
- Thursday, August 21st - Dinner and monthly meeting - Beer Run, 6-7:30pm (156 Carlton Rd #203, Charlottesville, VA 22902)
- Thursday, September 18 - Trump Winery Social/Fundraiser
- Thursday, September 25 - 6-7:30pm. Location TBD
Click here to sign up for any of these activities. New members welcome. No experience necessary!
You can also support Women Build by making a gift to help with our 11th home sponsorship.
Click here to make your contribution.
(Be sure to include “Women Build” in the special instructions box. If you are sending a check by mail to our office, please write "Women Build" in the memo line).
The June 8, 2011 article features the history of Women Build, members of the group, and highlights the success of WB projects and fundraisers.