As a chapter of Habitat for Humanity of Greater Charlottesville (Habitat), Women Build (WB) is dedicated to combating the local affordable housing crisis through sponsoring and building simple, decent, healthy and affordable homes in partnership with low-income families. Engaging women in the building process provides a unique opportunity for women to learn construction skills and build leadership and teamwork.
In partnership with families and volunteers in our community, Women Build has sponsored or co-sponsored nine homes since 2001, which has helped nine families realize their dream of homeownership.
WB is currently working on their 10th sponsorship at Belmont Cottages, which will be completed in the spring. WB welcomes you to join in these efforts.
If you or your club or organization would like to learn more about Women Build, please contact Habitat staff liaison, Katie Geisshuesler
Upcoming Women Build Activities (click here for project descriptions)
- Thursday, May 29th - Dinner and monthly meeting - Belmont Pizza & Pub
- Saturday, June 14th - Southwood Special Projects Building Workshop
- Thursday, June 26th - Dinner and monthly meeting - Panera - Barracks Road
- Saturday, July 19th - "Habitour" and lunch
- Thursday, July 31st - Dinner and monthly meeting - location TBD
- Friday, August 1 - Fridays After Five Fundraiser
- Saturday, August 9 - Build Day
- Thursday, August 28th - Dinner and monthly meeting - location TBD
- Thursday, September 18 - Trump Winery Social/Fundraiser
Belmont Pizza is located at 221 Carlton Rd. Ste 10, Charlottesville, VA, 22902
Click here to sign up for any of these activities. New members welcome. No experience necessary!
You can also support Women Build by making a gift to help with their 10th home sponsorship.
Click here to make your contribution.
(Be sure to include “Women Build” in the special instructions box. If you are sending a check by mail to our office, please write "Women Build" in the memo line).
The June 8, 2011 article features the history of Women Build, members of the group, and highlights the success of WB projects and fundraisers.